Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shoulda been a cowboy...

Shoulda learned to rope and ride!!!! Oh wait, I already know how to do that. Because I'm from Idaho. When I tell people that's where I'm from they say, "Oh! Las papas!!!" Yes, we do have our fair share of potatoes. Funny story as well, yesterday Sister Jenson, one of the new office missionaries called us and she asked to talk to me, which never happens, usually because the people calling are speaking in Spanish. Well, she kept trying to ask me questions but she'd get halfway through them and then reword it...basically she was calling because for some reason mom's last name on my papers went through as Smith so she thought that my parents were divorced but she couldn't figure out why they lived at the same address, which is in Magnolia, Texas (we got that straightened out too.) It was really funny because I knew what she was getting at...like Sawyer Hemsley when mom and dad would both drive a truck to Jake's soccer games.

Oh...this should have been the first news...WE'RE GETTING EVICTED. We kept getting notices to pay our rent and we called the office but I guess it never got paid and today we had a note on our door that said that if it isn't paid by tomorrow we have to live under a bridge. It'd be kind of like this story I read about some missionaries back in the day that just slept out in the fields at night. That'd be cool.

Well, the washing machines at our apartment complex are broken so we had to take our clothes to the laundromat so we have to hurry with email because someone might steal our ankle-length skirts if we leave them there too long.

We went to the Cowboys Stadium today (hence the subject), which is where we were supposed to go last week but there were too many people there so we saw the Rangers. That thing is insane!!! It's gigantic and they hold all sorts of world records for being the biggest, having the most tvs and being the large and spacious building or something like that. Their jumbo-tron is 7 stories high. The Jonas Brothers had a concert there a little while ago and afterwards they paid $8000 to play Halo on the jumbo-tron for 2 hours. When we were suppose to go last week, our zone leaders called us and told us to have fun but that it was against mission rules to take pictures in the cheerleaders locker room because they have lifesize pictures of them in there. It was really funny. Also, the tour guide asked everyone what the cheerleaders were most excited for in their new locker room. I guessed it right...see if you can.

Casey wasn't there when we went to see her. I don't know what we'll do with that. Chalino also wasn't home when we went over to Fort Worth. mom, part of Fort Worth is in our area...since we're a Spanish ward we cover basically the whole area of the stake. There are 8 of us missionaries in the one ward...it's fun. We usually have to have 2 families sign up to feed us every night. On Sunday we all ate together. That was fun. At the end we were singing Joseph Smith's First Prayer and then the sisters were supposed to hum while one of the elders recited the first vision. Well no one told Elder Udall not to hum so he started humming with us. Of course the obvious way to get him to stop was to punch him...so that's what his companion did.
Another story about the house we had dinner at...we ate with them a few weeks ago, just the sisters, and she has horses EVERYWHERE. Pictures, statues, painting. So I said, "Le gusta el cabello?" Mistake....because then she went off in Spanish and all I could do was nod and say Si, Si. I told her I was from Idaho and she started talking about Idaho and missionaries and I had no idea what she was saying...turns out her son is serving in Boise.

The other night I had another encounter like that...we were teaching a lesson and I had no idea what was going on because people kept showing up and phones kept ringing and there was some guy there that we usually don't teach and he kept talking about all this stuff. The only thing that I understood was that he said something about dogs and then he said something about punching dogs.

No one can ever say our last name. They just get really confused and nod. I had one guy go, "Yeah...ok." So I've now decided to say "Soy Hermana Van. Como pan (bread) con ' v '." I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping it works better than the 'jig' idea our district leader Elder Birch gave us. Yesterday at interviews and district meetings he told us that sometimes he and his old companion would say (when people didn't want to listen to them), "Well, can we interest you in a jig then?" We tried it twice yesterday and they said no.

I had to hurry and scan your emails so that I could email so sorry that I'm not really replying to them. I hope I answered all the important questions.

Elder Alcaraz story for the week: Yesterday at district meeting he told me that sometimes he says things in English and then if people get mad he says, "Sorry, its my second language." He also said that Sister and President Thurston are really nice to the sisters in interviews, but they "rebuke" the elders.

How is march madness going? am I winning?

Well, I better go. Have a good week!! Thanks for emailing me. Tell Bishop and Sister Keller hi!! And everyone else!!!!!

Love,
Sister Vaughn, Soy chula.

No comments:

Post a Comment