Hola familia!!!
So there's really no purpose behind my subject...I just couldn't think of anything and that's what popped into my head.
It seems like we just emailed so I can't really remember what I wrote last week.
JILL- DC sounds fun. Will you still live there so I can come visit? I'm also going to go visit Sister Rivas in New York and Elder Alcaraz in C........, Mexico. (I don't remember where he's from but its a really small country on the west coast about half way down in Mexico.) He doesn't know I'm coming there yet. Maybe he can come to Idaho too because he had a companion from Boise once that is a huge Boise State fan so one of his dreams now is to see Boise State play. He told me that today. He says really funny things and they're even funnier because he is learning English so he has a really heavy accent. My favorite thing that is has ever said is the other night when he called to get our key indicators (he's our district leader) well, I'll just type out the side of the conversation that I heard. It was all Sister Checketts, because she was talking to him.
"There's a rat in your apartment?! How did it get in there!?"
"Are you sure it's not a mouse?"
"Is it a rat or a mouse Elder?"
(To this he replied, "I want to call it a mini-rat.")
Then he asked for the key indicators and then as he was saying good bye he said, "I just want you to know. We are not escared (scared with a spanish accent), we are in hunting mode. We have our brooms. And we are going to kill it."
I asked his companion, Elder Arellano, also from Mexico, if they caught the rat/mouse and he said,"Yes. We used the best bait. I got a little vienna sausage and we caught that mouse in a trap. Right on it's neck." He's funny too but he doesn't talk as much.
Jake- I vote for your mission you are going to Paraguay or Quetzaltenango, Guatemala and so you can be companions with Elders Palmer and Maurer from the MTC. How is Spring Break chillin with the rents? Did you send your letter yet? The address is 1331 Airport Fwy Dr Ste 305 Euless, Texas 76040 We just had zone conference and President challenged us to take everything "back to the basics." Maybe I should suggest back2dabay6 as our new slogan.
Nick- The Fun Run sounds...fun. We toured the Texas Rangers baseball stadium today and there was a room where the visiting team gets to warm up. It was slanted uphill so that they can run sprints in it. That didn't sound like fun to me. The tour guide that we had was like a 100 year old lady and she kept telling us to hurry up and be quiet because she was taking us places we weren't suppose to be because they are remodeling it so places were closed and stuff. It was kind of cool...not the type of place I'd choose to tour on my vacation, but besides the 5 Baptist Churches that you found on Google, that's about the only choice we had. We actually wanted to tour the Dallas Cowboys stadium but it's spring break here and the wait was 4 hours. They're like a block a part from each other. And they're both in Arlington. The DALLAS Cowboys are living a lie. President alluded to March Madness during zone conference, but he said we don't need to pay attention to it because we're going to have March Madness in our missionary work. I'm glad you filled out a bracket for me. Or Jill did. I'm probably going to win. Hi Jenni. My companion Sister Checketts has taken a special liking to the Jody dress you gave me. She's actually wearing it right now. She likes to borrow it.
Dad- the Jeep sounds like an eye sore. Or a rainbow. What color are you going to paint it? I want pink. Or I want to drive your Z car when I get home. How is Pocatello? Sounds like you're having fun. How does Grandma have internet and we don't? Your trips sound fun. If you see Sister Hatch in Argentina tell her hi. She's my friend from the MTC.
The ward is cool. They always speak in Spanish, but I'm finding more and more of them know english, they just pretend like they don't. We had a ward sports night last Friday night and we invited our investigators and it was really fun. We played volleyball and some other crazy games Hermano Charles (said char-lez) made up. He's a ward member that was super competitive and he would yell and tell everyone how to play and where to stand and what to do and he kept telling me stuff but I didn't know what he was saying so I would just say Si Si!! and Sister Rivas would laugh at me. Everyone was just yelling in Spanish the whole time and it was really fun. It's a ward, not a branch, but it covers a lot of area because it's a Spanish ward. We're in part of Fort Worth and there's actually a chapel closer to them but they're all english wards. We're trying to get a lot of families in that area so that we can have a ward over there because there are a lot of older people that don't drive or just people that don't have cars.
Yesterday we went on a "field trip" to Fort Worth. We had a member go on exchanges so she drove and then dropped us off over there after our lesson with Hermana Quiztian, who is getting baptized in a few weeks, and then we tracted a street for 2 hours and then went to Subway and then had another Sister pick us up and take us to some more appointments. It was really fun tracting the street and I did my first spanish contact all by myself because my companions were talking to someone else. They told me that their parents were Catholic, they were Catholic, their kids are Catholic and they're going to die Catholic. We also met a kid named Hernan that was going to play in a baseball game, but we're going back to see him tomorrow and I'm excited.
Sister Campos picked us up after Subway and we went a visited Chalino, an older man from Mexico that we met my first week. He loves everything we say and he just says everything is "Bonita". He loves the pictures we show him of Jesus Christ and he just agrees with everything we say. He wants to get baptized and we set a date at the end of April. He doesn't drink and he only smokes a little bit but he gave us his pack of cigarettes yesterday without a problem. He's really great, I just hope his sons that live with him will drive him to church because it's too far for him to drive. We're going to see him tomorrow as well.
We also went and taught Jesus, who is this guy in his 20s that lives with Hermano Charles. He came to sports night and to church on Sunday. He loves everything too and he is really excited. He's probably going to get baptized soon too. They live in Stop Six. Which is a part of Fort Worth. That's it's nickname that that area has. Because that's the name of the gang that resides there. I was really excited to go there, but we didn't even see anyone!!! Mom don't worry, it's not too run down or ghetto, we just don't go there at night.
We're teaching Casey tomorrow. We have a lot of white cards, where we have them write down their name and number if they are interested, so we just barely got to hers, but it's ok because she just barely got out of jail. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Along with that, it takes us about a week to get back to see people after the first contact because we have so many.
We go to this apartment complex by our apartment quite a bit. I've told you about some of the people that live there. There's this one guy named Bobby that we talked to the first time. He was cleaning his car and he said he wasn't interested but maybe later. The next day we were knocking another part of the complex and we knocked on his door. He said the same thing. Sister Checketts goes,"Well, our message is still the same and it can still bless your life." We saw him outside again yesterday when we went to an appt there that punched (they weren't home) and he told us to come see him when we get a chance. I'm excited to go visit him again.
Also, we were tracking the other day and this older guy was sitting in a car. I think he was from Africa. He had a heavy accent and he goes, "Do you wanna marry me?!" And Sister Rivas goes, "No, we wanna baptize you!!!!" He told her if she married him he'd get baptized. Then we left.
Well, I have 3 min left so I better go. I love you all. Thanks for writing. I will talk to you next week.
Until next week,
Sister Vaughn, conqueror of heroes, maybe in a few weeks the conqueror of Spanish
No comments:
Post a Comment