Whew...another week!!!! It's gone by crazy fast!!!!!
Well, we made the programs for Abel. The bad thing is that you put "la" or "el" in front of people's names in spanish sometimes. And we forgot to change that so the program said, El Servicio Bautismal de la Abel Quiztian." WHOOPS. It's ok though because his wife called us Saturday morning and told us he didn't want to get baptized. Bigger UH-OH. BUT...it's ok. Turns out he's still struggling to understand authority...he was baptized in his other church and he still doesn't understand why that doesn't count. The elders are working with him with us, mostly they teach him and we stop by to say hi and eat food. (we don't really stop to eat, that's just an added bonus.) We stopped Tuesday night, before the elders got there, to say hi. We'd taught their other daughter, Jacky for the first time that morning (we know her, we've just never taught an actual lesson) and set a date with her for the 16th. We were telling them that and Hermano Quiztian goes, "So? I'm getting baptized this next weekend with Chuy (that's a nickname for Jesus I guess...) or the next weekend." So he's still planning on it, we just have to help him understand a few things. I think that he and dad would be good friends. He's always asking Sis Vasquez crazy questions, like if she lives in a tee-pee and wears feathers on her head. She taught him how to do a war cry and he ran into the kitchen where Jacky and Mabel were and goes, "Hermana Vasquez taught me to do this!!!!!" and did it for them. They weren't too impressed. Also, the elders are always late so he calls them every 5 min and in english says, "HEY. Where you at? I waitin." It's really funny.
Sister Quiztian is a spiritual madhouse. She's inviting everyone she knows to take the lessons. It's amazing. Saturday she told us she wants us to teach her sisterinlaw...and then her sisterinlaw came to church on sunday with her 5 kids. We were going to go to her house tonight to teach her but she called and said she couldn't...because she wants to go to enrichment at the church. So we're going to meet with her after that. Sister Quiztian is amazing!!!!!
Jesus is good to go on Sunday. He had his interview this past week and passed it with flying colors. We went to visit him on Tuesday night too after the Quiztians and we asked him if he had any questions. He goes, "Who is going to baptize me?" We said, "Who ever you want." And he said, "Good. I already asked Hno. Charles to do it and then I asked Sis Baldi to give a talk and the wife of that one guy to give the other talk and then Brother Rodriguez to give the prayer and brother Fuentes to give the other one." ...I'd say he's excited. It helps that he lives with members so they helped him with all of it.
We haven't seen Chalino for a while. Every time we go he's still working. And I don't know if I told you this last week, but the last time we went we saw him outside smoking when we pulled up. We asked him about it and he said it was his son but his son came home later...so he wasn't there. We talked a lot about repentance. He really wants to get baptized but he told us himself that he has to go to church a few more times. Which is true. We're still working for that because he's really cool and I really like him.
We actually taught Jotorea a lesson, not just talked to her. We talked about prophets and dispensations and apostasies, but we didn't get to the restoration. She has some focusing problems...but we found out that she wants to write a book, be the president of the United States, be on American Idol, be a cheerleader, that she got suspended and has to go to some "New Turn" thing where she has to wear a white shirt and raise her hand to go to the bathroom. Among many other things. She did tell us though that she likes talking about church stuff and she wants us to come back tomorrow when her friends are there for a sleep over so they can learn too. She's way cool.
Sister Vasquez has to go to physical therapy because she doesn't have enough fluid in her spinal cord or something. We went for the first time yesterday. We were there for an hour. I took some copies of the Book of Mormon and wrote my testimony and marked scriptures for when we hand them out. I also saw this guy turn on the tv to sports center and he saw my face get really excited when the Jazz were on but then he told me they lost. At least I didn't have to keep watching it to figure out what happened.
This morning after we went to the gym, (I use the rowing weight lifting machine so I will be in prime condition for row boat season next summer) I was sitting on the couch waiting for Sister Vasquez to shower and I heard a cat. Well it was the same stupid cat (I think...you can't be too sure. There are more cats in this town than people) that woke me up at 3 am meowing. So I decided to see what the problem was. I looked out the window and this lady was looking in the bushes where the noise was coming from. The cat started making noises like it was getting it's head pull off and then all of the sudden a giant black cat jumps out of the bushes with a little white cat in its mouth and runs away. The lady looked mortified. And now I'm scarred for life.
Last night at dinner at the Favela's with all the elders we told them we're getting a new car. (Oh ya!!! We're getting a new car on Monday!!! Because ours has a dent in it. But I didn't do it.) They asked what kind and I said, "A 2011 Jeep Wrangler." Elder Bateman said, "She's definitely from Idaho." I think it was supposed to be a bad thing, but I liked it.
OH. We saw Danny, the one that lives on Vaughn street and we actually taught him a lesson. He was way drunk, he's always drinking, so I'm not sure how much he got, but he said we could come back and that he'll come to our church. He also wants us to go to his church, we'll work on that. We also had to have a prayer circle and hold hands and it was weird.
I didn't have much time to read your emails so I hope that i answered all the questions.
Jake- that's cool that you go out with the missionaries. It's good practice and I bet they love it. They like it even more if you have a car. You should go tracting with them and stuff. And don't get mad if their appts fall through because that happens a lot and it's scary when you have a member with you.
Well, I think that is all for now. I love you all and thank you for your letters and prayers.
Paz.
La Hermana Vaughn
No comments:
Post a Comment