I've been waiting since Saturday when we got transfer calls to say that subject line!!!!! I'm in Hurst, and I think that Euless is in our area Mom, so tell Sister Stutz to get all her mexican friends to feed us!!! Just kidding. We actually get fed pretty well. Well, we have for the day that we've been here.
Transfers were yesterday. Sister Vasquez stayed in Arlington and Sister Jacobson, my MTC comp, replaced me. I am in Hurst, which is like 20 min away, with Sister Hinton. It's way cool...we can see the Fort Worth skyline sometimes. I'm excited to be out of Arlington. It was fun and I will miss the Quiztians and all of our investigators but I am excited for a new adventure. We took a picture with Chalino and he looks like a crazy old mexican man but thats ok because that is what he is!!! Then we had him take a picture of us by this cool tree in his yard with these pink things on it. He didn't quite get how the camera worked and he had it upside down and backwards and he was trying to look through the lens on the front of the camera and he said, "I can't see anything!!" But I forgot my camera cord so I'll have to send them next week.
Sister Hinton is way cool. She is from Orem, Utah and she has only been out a transfer longer than me!!!! We're both still freshies, but it's going to be good!! We also whitewashed in, she was serving in Fort Worth with Lisa Peterson, so we have to figure out investigators and where stuff is and we get lost a lot, but we're figuring it out. The elders that were here are just in south Hurst now so they are in our zone (Elder Clark is our district and zone leader) so we call him a lot. His grandma and grandpa in Grangeville know uncle ty and aunt cindy. Oh. We actually decided to call it 'pink'washing. just fyi. Sister Hinton went to BYUI too. We haven't had time to talk about it but we're going to have some good discussions later. We moved into an apartment where elders had been living...it didn't really look like they'd moved out because they just left stuff everywhere. We've found all sorts of cool things...foot powder, food, passalong cards EVERYWHERE, toe warmers, aftershave....it's fun. We spent 3 hours cleaning this morning. We live in a pretty safe place though so that's good. Oh, and we found Elder Clark's rain coat in the closet but we're not giving it back until he has cookies to trade for it.
Yesterday we had transfer meeting. I rode down with Sister Evans, a member, and Sister Vasquez stayed there with a different member. Sister Evans took me to breakfast at Chick-fil-a. It was cool. Then we had transfer meeting. TWENTY THREE missionaries went home...it was crazy. I didn't know a ton of them but Sister Perkins and Elder Gulbransen (from last transfer) left and....ELDER ALCARAZ!!!!!! He didn't tell us he was leaving until Sunday. I kind of guessed a few weeks ago but he kept saying no. I'm kind of sad but I guess that's what happens in the mission life. I do have a good story or two left to tell about him though.
On Monday night, Sister Quiztian fed all of us missionaries because I was leaving. And 2 other elders, but mostly me. So we were all there eating and then we ate some cake and we were sitting around talking and she was telling us how she wanted her papers and elder alcaraz said, "Well, Sister Quiztian, Sister Vaughn's dad works for the FBI. Maybe he can help us." And she said, "OH!!! Sister Vaughn, come sit by me. Do you need any more cake? Elder Ponce, get Sister Vaughn another drink and some more strawberries for her cake. Sister Vaughn, when you write to your mom tell her that I take good care of you." And all this stuff. It was really funny. Then I had to tell her that it was a lie but I didn't know how to say that so I said, "Fue un chiste." (It was a joke.) Elder Alcaraz is really naughty.
We never filled out our census and we were trying to lay low, but one day the census lady came and caught us so we had to tell her all this stuff. At one point she asked us if we were sisters (me and sister Vasquez...) and then she gave us this sheet with all these different races on it and told us to pick which one we were. I just looked at it and said, "...I'm white."
When we were at the physical therapist they were playing sports center. I seen Dwight Howard and he was crying because he got poked in the eye and then knocked on his hinder. It was funny.
Our first day here was exciting. The elders took us to our apartment and told us a lot of stuff that we both forgot and then we went and ate dinner with a recent convert named Griesy (pronounced like Gracie, mom :) ). She was way cool and she talked a lot. But she fed us corn gorditas and I got sick. I thought they were flour. We got lost going to her house so we were late and then we called her to see how to get there and when we drove by (we were supposed to park at the baptist church next door but we didn't see it til it was too late) she was standing in the driveway looking for us and I waved and she waved real big. Then we parked down the street and had to walk a block back to her house.
After that we went to see these other people, Jose and Claudia. They were really cool. We didn't really know much about them except their names because we forgot the rest because elder clark told us a lot of stuff, but using our spanish skills together we figured out that he was a member but had been inactive almost all his life (his parents joined when he was 6 so he was baptized when he was 8) and he'd grown up in the streets because his mom worked a lot and his dad was never home and so now he's an alcoholic and he wants to stop but he can't. His wife isn't a member but she wants to learn about the church except for along with the pamplets and Book of Mormon the elders left her, she's reading anti too. Cool. Needless to say, it was probably the most intense lesson I've ever been in. We could definitely feel the Spirit helping us to know what to say and we actually made it through and helped them as well. We're going back tomorrow so we'll see whats going on.
Well, we're praying a lot because whitewashing is really crazy, but hopefully we will get things down and have a lot of cool stuff to report next week.
I love you all, thank you for your letters.
Love,
Sister Vaughn
No comments:
Post a Comment