**Viewer discretion advised** (not really...but kind of)
So... I used to not really care much about politics. I still don't claim to know much and probably wouldn't last very long in a conversation with someone about political stances and policies and all that stuff. But this race has caught my attention. I've found myself tuning into the debates, the speeches, the news... I guess I am growing up a bit. I listened to the vice presidential debate tonight as I painted my accent wall in my room. (Pictures to come.) I'm not going to share most of my thoughts, mostly because those that do read this probably won't really care (and because I'm still listening to the run down or whatever after the debate and it's kind of hard to multitask...) Anyway...the one thing that I found interesting and really caught my attention was when Martha asked both candidates how their religion played a part in their views on abortion. I didn't know that both politicians were Catholic. I do know that Catholics don't agree with abortion. So I thought that Paul Ryan did a good job explaining his stance. I fully agree with the policy that will come with the Romney/Ryan ticket. Abortion shouldn't be how you deal with "mistakes." That's a bunch of malarkey. Sure, those victims of rape or incest, or those that could possibly die from the pregnancy, should probably be given the option. A total of 825,564 abortions were reported to CDC for 2008. (that is the most recent year that CDC data is available.) Only 1% of aborting women report that they were victims of rape. That's a lot of babies.
I found it interesting that both men come from the same religion, which condemns the act of abortion, but have completely different views of what is acceptable. Biden said (roughly), "I believe that it is a woman's choice what she does with her body. It is between her and her doctor."
This is where I disagree. Any woman who wants to have an abortion already passed the point where she had a choice. She had a choice to keep her pants on. She made the choice to have sex, knowing that one of the possible outcomes was pregnancy. She had the option right then NOT to have a baby by saying "No." But, with each action there is a consequence. A possible consequence of sex is pregnancy. Everyone knows that. So why should they be allowed to destroy a human life because they made the wrong choice? What if their mom had decided to have an abortion? What right do they have to take away the opportunity to live because they gave in to their lustful desires? That wasn't the baby's fault.
There's also the issue of whether or not the government should pay for birth control blah blah blah...whatever that whole thing is. (See...I said I wouldn't do well at debating.) Here's the thing (again)... There's this form of "birth control"...it's called abstinence... and it's COMPLETELY free. To everyone. To women. To the government... No one has to pay for that. (Except maybe Barney Stinson.) So why should my tax money go to women who can't control themselves? I guess some women love having sex. I love swedish fish. I think the government should give me free swedish fish.
Katie Vaughn for the white house!
ReplyDeletebahaha...not likely. Although it would be kind of neat to live there. Maybe my husband can be the president. And of course I will just supply him with good ideas...
DeleteYea Katie!! Allan oh Elder Blad would be so proud you watched the debates!
ReplyDeleteGood! Haha. He probably knows a lot more than me though.
DeleteAGREED KATIE! That's almost exactly what I told my coworker who's pro-choice...I said the choice was to have sex or not...having the child is part of the consequence...if they don't want to keep the child there is a wonderful thing called adoption, which many people who are unable to have children but would love the opportunity to have one would greatly appreciate! People just need to be responsible and if they chose to use their agency to make stupid mistakes (not saying children are stupid mistakes) then they need to take responsibility for their actions.
ReplyDeleteYay!! I was going to talk about adoption too, but I was getting too longwinded.
DeleteFREE SWEDISH FISH IS THE BEST IDEA EVER!
ReplyDeleteRiiiiiiiigght!?
DeleteWhoever wins... I'm submitting that idea next year.