Friday, February 19, 2010

Check before you chug

February 12, 2010

The subject has a meaning this week. This morning we woke up at 6 to go to the temple. I checked my blood sugar and it was 62. I have a fridge in our room to keep my insulin in and we also put drinks from when we get sack lunches and stuff. I had a thing of strawberry milk in there from a week or two ago. It was unopened and I even checked the expiration date. It said, best by feb 13. Which is tomorrow. So I opened it and started chugging it so we wouldn't be late to the temple. (We were. I waited by the bedroom door for 5 minutes and then got to run to the temple.). Well, about 4 swallows in, I realized it didn't taste like it should. In fact, it tasted horrbible. I spit what was in my mouth back in the bottle and then finished getting ready. About an hour ago, my stomach decided to get revenge. I'll let you decide what that means. Anyway...I'm not sure how I should have figured out it was rotten, I guess I'm just going to be extra careful from now on. And probably stick to chocolate milk.

We went to the Spanish tutor this week, Hermano Fernandez. He's from Mexico. He was telling us that he was talking to a Sister Brown and she said, "My whole family is Brown." and he said, "Hey! Mine too!"

I took some extra sheets from the sheet exchange pile and hung them down from Sister Jone's bunk. It made my bed into a fort. I made a sign that said, "the fortress of solitude." But I had to dismantle it for clean checks.

A few weeks ago on Wed we went out a different door of the cafeteria than usual because sister jones needed to get a new nametag. Unfortunately the route we chose to get back to class was directly through where all the new missionaries check in. We were walking down the hall and a nice lady stopped us and told us we had to go the other way or else we'd have to start our mission over again. I said, "That actually might help." She said she'd never gotten that reply before. Now we're friends.

For the past 3 weeks Sister Jacobson has forgotten to start her laundry machines, either the washer or the dryer, so we have to stay in the laundry room for an extra 45 min. Today before laundry in companionship inventory I told her step by step how to do her clothes so we wouldn't have that problem. Sister Jones and Sister Jacobson BOTH forgot to push the button on their dryers to start them. Some people's kids. I'd like to report that I have never had any problem washing my clothes. It's a good thing I'm 21 years old and I've got that down. I guess some people struggle more than others.

Does anyone remember my rooommate Tiffany Summers from the semester I lived with Shaylie? I hope you do because she is really cool. I got a letter from her today and she is going on a mission. In Texas. In Fort Worth. Speaking Spanish. Crazy, eh? I'm really excited. I don't know when she comes, but she's still in school this semester and I've heard there are only 4 or 5 spanish sisters in fort worth right now, so chances that we will be companions are big and chances that I might even train her are smaller. But still possible.

I don't know about a definite release date yet. We'll know on Monday because if we leave the 23rd we'll get our travel plans. It's carzy that its already that close. We saw one of the elders from our zone that left a few weeks ago in the temple this morning, He's in the Provo mission. He's in American Fork serving right now and they get to go to the temple once a week. We talked to him and then I realized we weren't talking to his comp so I asked him where he was from. He said, "West Jordan." That's normal to hear at the MTC because practically everyone is from the Salt Lake Valley. But then I remembered he wasn't at the MTC. He was already on his mission. In Provo. I'm glad that we'd already moved to a different subject when I finally put two and two together. On the bright side, if he forgot something at home he could ride his bike there and get it.

We've only been to the RC that one time. It's not in our schedule anymore so we don't really get to go. L. Tom Perry spoke to us a few weeks ago and he basically gave the 1st lesson. It showed how important that it truly is if that's what he chose to give his whole devotional on.

I only have a few more min but I want to tell you about the TRC from last week. I don't like going after we email because I almost forgot.

We are teaching in spanish now and we were teaching a 25 yr old guy. He'd read the BoM and had a testimony of it but didn't understand how that showed JS was a prophet or why he was important. So we tried to give a brirf overview of the 1st lesson and then we showed him how the BOM testified and prophesied of Joseph Smith and how the words of the BoM were Christ's words so the fact they told that he'd be named after Joseph of egypt and his dad showed that he was truly foreordained and called of God to bring forth this church. We mostly could understand his questions and he asked a lot. Then we shared the 1st vision. He started to cry and the spirit was really strong. After it he said a ton of stuff in spanish. I didn't understand a word. Come to find out after neither did my compaionsos. So we just bore our testimony of Joseph Smith and his divine calling and then the appt was over.

Back in class our teacher told us that she had been listening to that part and when we didn't understand him he had broken character and said that his testimony of Joseph was dwindling and that was exactly what he needed to hear. It was so cool that even though he was a member of the church and an RM our broken spanish could touch him and help he to come to Christ. I'm so excited to get out into the field. I love this gospel and I can't wait to share it with the people of Texas.

I'm out of time.
I love you all.
Jake write to me.

Love,
Sister Vaughn

No comments:

Post a Comment