In August, we went to
Nauvoo. Mom, Jenni (my awesome sister-in-law), lil baby Eliza, and I drove out.
One week and one day after my accident. No big deal.
It was pretty much
fantastic and Eliza was a trooper through the whole trip. She was better in the
car than I was.
At first I wasn’t really sure why we were going to Nauvoo.
My mom had texted me about a month before while I was at camp and asked if I
wanted to go and I was like, “Sure.” Finally I found out it was because Jake
was working an EFY session there and then he wanted us to pick him up and drive
home through his mission. So that’s what we did. I kind of wished it was my
mission we were driving through, but hey, you gotta take what you can get.
We also went to Winter Quarters on the way out and Adam Ondi-Ahman and Independence and Liberty while we were visiting Jake's mission. (He served in the Missouri Independence Mission)
Jill and Fred came down from Chicago and spent two days with
us as well. It was pretty awesome.
We missed the pageant but made it for the
last week of the young performing missionaries so that was neat.
I love being in Nauvoo. I think it’s so awesome to learn
about those that came before us, what their lives were like, and what it was to
live in that time period.
I’m so grateful for Joseph Smith and for the people in that
time, for their strength, courage, and faith that they had to have had to go
through the trials and hardships that they did. I’m grateful for Joseph’s
extreme faith and dedication.
When we were in Carthage, they showed us a video
at the visitor’s center that had quotes from people who knew and interacted
with the prophet every day. One of the youth in Nauvoo told of how one day they
were playing ball in the field. Joseph came and played with them, and then he
took them to do service for an older woman in town. It ended with him saying, “Is
it no wonder that we loved that great, good man?”
I, too, love that great, good man. “He lived great, and he
died great in the eyes of God and his people, and like most of the Lord’s
anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own
blood. And so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in
death they were not separated!” –John Taylor
Praise to the man who was strong enough to endure all the
hardships and trials that he went through with such unwavering faith.














No comments:
Post a Comment