Monday, December 12, 2011

Gorda y Feliz.

Today was the today, kids. The day we accomplished our semester dream : Eat at every taco truck/bus/trailer in Rexburg. It's not that hard because there's only three. But a little daunting.
My love for tacos began with this man, in this truck.

How could you not love that jolly guy? We met Florentino on the streets of Harker Heights, Texas. The elders actually met him first...who doesn't want to baptize a taco vendor? Florentino got baptized the first Sunday we were in Temple. His baptism was crazy...a story for another time and place, for this blogs is about tacos. Anyway, we would visit/teach Florentino in his taco truck because that was where he was most of the day. And every time we went there, he gave us tacos. It was awesome. One tender mercy we had with Florentino...one day when he was making us tacos, he informed us that he was out of flour tortilla. I'm not sure if you know, but I am incredibly allergic to corn tortillas...no mission miracle. (one time we got served flautas in my first transfer...my trainer made me eat them and told me maybe I'd have a mission miracle...I didn't.) So anyway, I was sad at first that I couldn't have a taco. And then I had a spur of inspiration. We had just come from visiting the Núñez family, who were super awesome, and the hermana had given us an entire pack of flour tortillas. (and 2 bags of chocolate donuts.) So, I excused myself from the taco truck, ran across the parking lot, and retrieved the tortillas from our car. Needless to say, I got my taco that day.
Anyway, back to the taco situation here in Rexburg. I don't think I'll ever find tacos that beat Florentino's...he had a secret ingredient. Love. But these were still pretty delicious.
First we hit up the bus by the roundabout. We got 4 tacos for $4. Best deal of the day.
2 flour for me. 2 corn for Teisha.
Next we went to Taco Tepido in the CalRanch parking lot. The lady there was my favorite. Their tacos are a bit pricier though, $1.50 a piece. I forgot to ask for a flour tortilla so Teisha got to eat that one. I tried the meat though and that was good.
Last but not least we tried to go to the one by the Horkleys on the edge of town but it was GONE. We were a little sad, but then decided to cruise the streets of Rexburg looking for it. Wasn't hard...Julio's Tacos is now outside of JB's on Main Street. They don't sell tacos on flour tortillas, so we got a quesadilla for $4. Totally worth it.
Today was a pretty good day I think. Estoy satisfecha y contenta.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you learned not to eat at a taco truck because you never know what goes on inside and they don't have to get health inspections. I love that your trainer made you eat the corn tortillas. I should have been mean to my greenie.

    ReplyDelete