Friday, June 4, 2010

Week Two.... I Got the Flu

Just kidding. I don't have the flu. I have a respiratory virus. It's not too bad, I really don't feel too sick except for when I try to sleep my left ear hurts and my throat is dry so it makes it rough. Last night I couldn't sleep and I laid there for an hour so I went and laid on the couch to read an Ensign like Sister Thurston suggested for if I can't sleep. Well, I was too tired to open the Ensign and I fell asleep in like 4 minutes. And slept the whole night on the couch, which kind of stunk because it's a midget couch so it wasn't too comfortable but at least I was asleep I guess. I had a dream that Jaden came and fixed our fridge because it hums really loud and it sounds like a gigantic robotic cat purring. But then I woke up and it wasn't fixed. The doctor only told me to get muscinex and gave me a perscription to fill only if I really need it but I think I lost it so hopefully I won't need it. Also, my district/zone leader and his companion gave me a blessing this morning so I should be good to go. It's really cool to be surrounded by so many worthy priesthood holders.

Well, the beginning of this week went by really slow...but it's starting to pick up. I'm getting the area down more or less, the GPS the elders lent us helps a lot. Sister Hinton never knows where we are going or where we are. She drove past the church about a half a mile yesterday while I was looking down trying to figure out appts for the night and didn't even realize it. We've been here for a week. And gone to the church at least 10 times. It's about 4 miles from our apartment. It's kind of frustrating since we don't have a lot of miles for the month and our area is pretty big and we don't have an Hermana San Miguel here to take us out every other day.

I miss Hna San Miguel and Gaby being able to go out with us, BUT on Sunday one of the young women came up to us and was like, "I think I want to go on a mission so I want to come out with you to see what it's like." Well, ok then. She came out with us on Tuesday. Oh, her name is Jasmine. We had about 5 appointments lined up...and all of them fell through. The only people we actually saw were an unplanned stop-by, Jose and Claudia, and luckily they were home. We talked to them for a while and Jasmine talked for about half the time, which was cool. She shared her conversion story and they really liked that. Jasmine also contacted this lady all by herself after Sister Hinton tried to talk to her and the lady couldn't understand what she was trying to say. The lady wasn't the most solid person I've ever invited to learn, but Jasmine loved it. When we got back to her house she goes, "When can I come with you again?" She's coming tomorrow and she wants to go see the lady she contacted. It's so cool. It's good to have her because she's like a greenie all over again and she keeps us energized.

Last night the 1st counselor in the bishopric and his wife took us out to eat at a Mexican restaurant. Actually the food wasn't bad. It was kind of fun but it was awkward because it was really loud so we couldn't really talk to them much and then we just left. As we were driving to our next appointment, it started raining. And this isn't Idaho rain...this is kind of like the ocean is attacking the land. It's hard and it's a LOT of water. By the time we parked and ran to our appt's apt, we were soaked. And then she wasn't home. So we went to our next appt in the same complex and we were huddled against the door because there was a small overhang. It took them about 3 minutes to open the door. We were discussing what to do next because we thought they weren't home when the husband opened the door...and then we screamed and fell into their house. He was really confused why we were standing outside his house in the pouring rain at 7:30 at night, but he was really nice and he gave us some towels and offered us warm milk after we told him we don't drink coffee...haha. It wasn't really cold outside though so he just gave us bottles of water after insisting we need something. We'd actually contacted his wife, Jenny, a few days earlier and that's who we had the appt with. Both of them sat in and he was actually more, I guess, "into it" than she was. She like it all, but he asked a lot of questions. He wasn't exactly golden, but it was still a pretty good lesson and they want us to come back next week. He said he has a hard time with religion because the pastors preach at you to be better or your going to hell but then he goes home and he forgets to be better. Or something. I don't know...he kept switching between Spanish and English and that's more confusing than if they just speak Spanish. They were really cool though.

We're still working on getting everything figured out and getting our good investigators going. The elders left us with some good ones, but it's hard to find them at home, a LOT of the people here punch. It's coming slowly but surely.

The Spanish is coming along really fast. I was a little nervous but I can understand more than I was expecting. I am learning a ton with a non-fluent comp because I get to actually talk for once. You can definitely see the Lord helping us and I love it when the people see it too because when they ask us how we learned Spanish we get to tell them that we've learning it "en las calles con la gente, predicando el evangelio de Jesucristo."

One last story and then I have to go.

We also taught this lady named Patty. She is english and older, like 50's or 60's, and she can't hear so we have to yell really loud and it's kind of funny. But she is really fun to teach. She said, "I read the bible but I don't understand a dang thing. I keep reading about this David guy, but who the heck is he?!" So we explained to her about prophets and she goes, "OH! He's a prophet?! Well I learned something new! And you've only been here 5 minutes!!" It was a pretty good lesson and she kept asking lead in questions. One time she was like, "Well, how did Joseph find out which church was true? Cuz I wanna know to!"

I love being able to help people to find the answers to the questions that they have in their lives. I know that through the gospel we can find the peace that we need and through the gospel of Jesus Christ all things can be made right.

I love you all and I am out of time.

Love,
Sister Vaughn

No comments:

Post a Comment